Thursday, March 1, 2012

YUMMMY!



Did this amazing sandwich grab your attention? Good!


I am currently watching the Food Network with my mother and my stomach is just growling and I am so temped to run downstairs and whip up a whole meal. I am sure I am not the only one who gets hungry and drawn into the food while watching the cooking channel. While watching I realized there is not more than one minute that goes by where  food is not being shown. Whether a show is on or a commercial is being played there is always a delicious meal being cooked or presented at a table for a group of people to enjoy. I think this is done primarily to grab the viewers attention. I can personally say that when looking through the channels trying to find something to watch, and I see a delicious meal I will stay on the channel for a while just to see whats going on. The Food Network uses this visual rhetoric to grab the viewers attention with the anticipation that the viewer will continue to watch. 
When watching a cooking show the kitchen is always very clean and fully stocked with any ingredient the cook may need. A photo of the dish is always shown before the meal is cooked so the viewer can be enticed by the meal and want to know how it is made. While cooking the meal the ingredients are all individually shown and the camera is always focused on the chefs hands and what they are doing with the food. When something is in the oven the chef is never just sitting there waiting for food to cook. There is always something being made so that the viewer always has something to watch. During the final result, the chef always places the food in a nicely presented way that is visually pleasing to the audience. An audience loves beautiful looking food, if it looks good it must taste good which is the idea the the Food Network tries to give present to their viewers. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel like the Food Network works to grab attention in a way that other networks don't; biologically. Food is one of those things for which one has a physical urge that cannot be ignored if you are hungry. While violence, humor, ethos, or other attention-getters may sometimes catch my eye when channel surfing, I cannot resist the biological urge for food, even if it is just a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete